Fórum Aves
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

The World Series of Birding

3 participantes

Ir para baixo

The World Series of Birding Empty The World Series of Birding

Mensagem por Simon Wates Ter Abr 01, 2008 6:22 am

Some people are getting rather upset about this but I think its quite funny (although completely stupid)!
See this clip from the Daily Show (USA TV comedy).

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=106128

It sums up many peoples view on birdwatching - unfortunately!
Simon Wates
Simon Wates

Número de Mensagens : 747
Local : Lagos

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

The World Series of Birding Empty Re: The World Series of Birding

Mensagem por Colin Key Ter Abr 01, 2008 6:51 am

I could not watch it all Simon - don't you just love those Yanks and their "sense of humour"? The word which comes to mind rhymes with "bankers"!

Colin Razz No tongue
Colin Key
Colin Key

Número de Mensagens : 791
Local : Algarve

Mensagem por Pedro Fernandes Ter Abr 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Aw, come on guys, stupidity comes in many forms and from every country.
Where was this next photo taken..?
The World Series of Birding 29558010
But it is true, birding here in the States is somewhat different to what I am used to, and this humorous sketch does capture rather nicely some people's attitude towards birding, making it a competitive sport - which comes as little surprise.
I am currently living in an area densely populated with birders, and this is only a small percentage of what you get here. Most are just content at seeing what shows up at their backyards or feeders. True, probably all keep species' lists but then again, who doesn't?

Cheers!
Pedro

PS Photo by Dave Appleton, taken in Devon, UK.
Pedro Fernandes
Pedro Fernandes

Número de Mensagens : 703
Local : Rabat

Mensagem por Colin Key Ter Abr 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Pedro,

I immediately recognised this as the "Murrelet Twich" in Devon, U.K. - the biggest twitch ever seen in the U.K. and, apparently, not a nice experience for everybody (a lot of people injured and even hospitalised in the initial crush to see the bird). I wish I had been there selling tickets at €10 a time!!

The video link which Simon provided was a total "piss take" and I didn't like it; as Simon intimated, birwatchers, birders and twitchers are percieved as weirdos by the general public, something I would not want to promote.

Colin
Colin Key
Colin Key

Mensagem por Pedro Fernandes Ter Abr 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Aye, you are right about public perception, not one thing you'd want to bring upon ourselves, but given examples such as the Devon one, how can you not..? There are laughable things about us, birdwatchers, as there are laughable things about every hobby or profession or whatever! I don't see anything wrong with that. Probably only goes to show we are not getting visibility for other actions that birdwatching also does, like conservation and fueling up to some extent some local regional economies - as for example what RSPB did with the economic impact of the White Tailed Eagles in the UK.
I personally have interrupted many a conversation to get a better look at this fleeting silhouette or to listen better to a bird call - and if you come to think of it, it is comical - if frustrating for the other person (specially if it is a non-birder). Or stood up at a football field at night under the lights to listen to Thrushes migrating - now what does that looks like when seen by a non birder's eyes?
So I don't get offended by this stuff, but that is me. I think it is funny. Plus I think it is particularly funny the fact that the World Series (!) takes place at New Jersey. Guess if you've seen Jersey, you've seen the world... Just love how Americans have a lot of World Series in which only they participate! It is endlessly amusing...
But I understand and respect your point of view. And this is mine. Just thought calling all Yanks w*****s was a bit too much.

Cheers,
Pedro
Pedro Fernandes
Pedro Fernandes

Número de Mensagens : 703
Local : Rabat

Mensagem por Colin Key Ter Abr 01, 2008 3:01 pm

Pedro Fernandes escreveu: Just thought calling all Yanks w*****s was a bit too much.

Cheers,
Pedro

Pedro,

My views are very strongly influenced by spending a lot of time on photography forums (DPReview, Fred Miranda, POTN, etc.) as opposed to birding forums, in which case I will stand by my original impressions of our N American cousins!!! And, believe me, I am not alone.

I must say, your colloquial English is absolutely superb (which is another reason why I do not "get on" with N.A.s - they have totally murdered the English language).

Abraço,

Colin Basketball
Colin Key
Colin Key

Mensagem por Conteúdo patrocinado

Conteúdo patrocinado

Ir para o topo